Algoma Respiratory Education Program
The Algoma Respiratory Education Program is a service provided by GHC to the people of the Algoma District who have or are at risk of developing respiratory problems such as; asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or who need screening for lung disease.
GHC’s Certified Respiratory Educators provide clients with support, screening, assessment, treatment, and education services to assist patients in improving their quality of life.
Clients with Asthma learn:
- How to use puffers and how to take medication as prescribed
- Warning signs and symptoms of reactions to watch for and how to know allergic and non-allergic triggers
- How to avoid exposure to triggers by changing their environment
- The importance of not smoking and living in a smoke-free environment
- Managing asthma using an Action Plan and peak flow monitoring (a meter that measures the amount of air that can be expelled from the lungs)
Clients with COPD work with a team of health care professionals, including a Certified Respiratory Educator, Kinesiologist, Dietitian, and Social Worker. This team provides education and support on:
- Causes of COPD and treatment options
- How COPD affects your lungs
- Help to quit smoking
- Medications and how to take them
- Recognizing signs of a chest infection
- Exercise and ways to conserve your energy
- Managing stress in your life
- Following a healthy diet
Frequently Asked Questions
The Algoma Respiratory Education Program offers Spirometry screening to assist your primary care provider in diagnosing lung disease.
Additionally, GHC offers education and monitoring of lung disease and works with your primary care provider to ensure you are the right type of medication and they are adjusted as needed.
To access the Algoma Respiratory Education Program you must be referred by a provider. GHC accepts referrals from all primary care providers.
Once your primary care provider refers you to the program, a GHC educator will contact you to book an appointment.
Please bring your peak flow meter and aerochamber to all appointments.
83 Willow Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, ON,
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday, Holidays: Closed