The Anticoagulation Clinic is designed to care for cardiac patients prescribed an anticoagulant such as Warfarin (Coumadin).
An anticoagulant is a medication that reduces the ability of clots to form in the blood. “Anti” means against, and “coagulate” means to thicken into a gel or solid. Anticoagulants are often also called blood thinners.
The clinic is staffed by registered nurses who specialize in the care and management of patients who are taking anticoagulants for either short-term or long-term use. GHC’s team of nurses work with patients and their Health Care Providers to manage their medications based on their lab results.
GHC’s Anticoagulation Program is staffed with registered nurses who have specialized training in monitoring blood work. An International Normalized Ratio (INR) is the blood test used to determine how quickly a person’s blood will clot and is an important test to maximize the efficiency of the treatment.
Nurses working in GHC’s Anticoagulation Program will:
- Adjust the Warfarin (Coumadin) dose based on the results of INR blood testing
- Assess for minor and major bleeding episodes
- Meet with newly referred patients on anticoagulant therapy
- Provide education sessions regarding anticoagulant therapy throughout the year
- Provide education tools and literature as needed
- Assist patients with concerns regarding their anticoagulant therapy
- Follow-up with patients that miss lab visits
- Liaise with the referring health care provider as required
- Follow-up with the pharmacy to provide Warfarin refills on behalf of health care provider office
- Coordinate anticoagulant bridging for patients requiring time off of Warfarin for surgery etc.
- Contact referring health care provider for any problems falling outside the protocol
Frequently Asked Questions
This service is available to all GHC-enrolled patients. To access the Anticoagulation Program, patients must be referred to the program by a GHC physician.
Once the referral has been received, a member of the Anticoagulation Program will contact the patient to book their initial appointment.
230 McNabb St. Sault Ste. Marie, ON.
Toll-Free in Algoma:
1-800-461-2407 ext. 2240
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday: Closed